This is either an extremely late update for last Sunday or an early one for tomorrow, depending on your philosophical outlook. After an array of different disruptions I've managed to get the Mek finished. I'm quite pleased with the result, even if it did take me ages to get there.

I experimented a bit while painting on this model. I wasn't happy with the way the yellow was coming out on previous models, and while the glaze and shade method gave reasonable results, I wanted to try something else for large flat areas of yellow. The yellow parts of the Mek were done by doubling up on the base layer, which provides a much more solid foundation for the other layers. I think the effect is good, and this approach seems more appropriate for the parts of a model that don't have a lot of detail.

I also changed the way I painted the red parts of the Mek. I've written about the problems I had highlighting red, so I tried putting a layer of Evil Sunz Scarlet on top of the Mephiston Red base layer. I then highlighted it using Wild Rider Red. This gave me a brighter red overall, with a highlight that is visible but that doesn't have the overly orange feel of using Wild Rider Red straight on Mephiston Red. It's going to mean more work to get models painted from here on in, but I think the improved effect is worth the effort.

Moving on, I'm going to start painting up a Nob to accompany the second squad of Boyz. I hope that he'll take a lot less time than the Mek, as I won't be moving house part-way through this one. I don't imagine that I'll have him completed within a week though, as I've got to be away for a few days for work again.